Default to mirror = False
CLOSED - CURRENTRELEASE
Syncing with mirror=True is a destructive operation, and it's especially destructive if you are storing multiple content types in the same repository. Since mirror mode doesn't respect plugin type boundaries , doing a mirror sync will wipe out any content in the repo that isn't of a type handled by plugin performing the sync.
Even with copious documented warnings which we don't yet have , I feel like this is a bad default value. The concern that repositories would accumulate too many old packages that are never cleaned is valid, but it's likely able to be solved in much less destructive ways than this.
This problem could also be resolved by making mirror mode respect type boundaries , but that seems architecturally difficult.
- Description updated (diff)
- Subject changed from Don't default to mirror=True to Default to mirror = False
+1. Even if mirror is the expected default for some plugins, I completely agree that we should err on the side of not being destructive.
- Related to Story #4341: As a user, I have comprehensive docs on mirroring, sync modes, and how they interact together added
- Related to Test #4448: Test sync mirror=True added
- Triaged changed from No to Yes
- Sprint set to Sprint 49
- Tags Pulp 3 RC Blocker added
- Status changed from NEW to ASSIGNED
- Assignee set to ttereshc
- Status changed from ASSIGNED to POST
- Status changed from POST to MODIFIED
Applied in changeset commit:pulpcore-plugin|1269464b1f335fbf81889d3551ec83d9c8458e67.
- Sprint/Milestone set to 3.0.0
- Tags deleted (
Pulp 3, Pulp 3 RC Blocker)
- Status changed from MODIFIED to CLOSED - CURRENTRELEASE
Please register to edit this issue
Also available in: Atom