Add Installation Layout on the filesystem to the installation guide
The installation guide should provide information about the layout of /var/lib/pulp and /etc/pulp/. Something similar to what the foreman-installer offers in this area.
#1 Updated by email@example.com 9 months ago
So the pulp team decided on
- It's similar to the
staticdirectory we use for Pulp 2. "pulpcore" is our standard Pulp 3 prefix for conflicting file/services/etc names.
- It's meant for static assets served by the webserver rather than by whitenoise in the Pulp 3 processes. Currently Apache or nginx, potentially other webservers that don't have that exact setting. Potentially some other web / cloud architecture mechanism.
- I think there are alternatives to the "DocumentRoot" config setting we may use at some point, particularly if the webserver is to be shared with other applications.
DocRoot is more specific to the current implementation and makes perfect sense for someone who is versed in Apache or Nginx. But I still prefer pulpcore_static, which is more future-proof in terms of naming, and backwards referential (Pulp 2 "static").
Nginx calls it root instead of DocumentRoot, but that's fairly similar. As such, it's closer than just "pulpcore_static". However, if that's what you choose then we'll follow.
It would be very useful if the documentation (for example https://docs.pulpproject.org/pulpcore/installation/index.html) would document the recommended directory layout. For now I wrote it myself (https://github.com/theforeman/puppet-pulpcore#installation-layout) but for anyone looking to learn more that would be a good start.
#5 Updated by firstname.lastname@example.org 9 months ago
- Subject changed from Determine the recommended document root to Add Installation Layout on the filesystem to the installation guide
- Description updated (diff)
- Status changed from CLOSED - COMPLETE to NEW
- Tags Documentation added
Re-opened as a documentation task and updated the description.
Please register to edit this issue