As a user I would like to add modulemd and modulemd-defaults to the skip list
Pulp rpm repo type now lets you skip the following units when syncing rpm, drpm, srpm, erratum and distribution.
For consistency it might make more sense to add modulemd and modulemd-defaults also.
When the user specifies a modulemd to be skipped, the RPMs for that module should not be synced either. Modulemd-defaults should not be synced either.
Updated by ttereshc over 5 years ago
1. Do you guys do the "smart" behavior for errata ?
No, we don't.
RPMs and an Erratum where they are referred can be both present in a repo but they also can live separately:
- only RPMs are synced - it's fine,
- only Erratum is synced - it's fine (it can be on purpose, so user selectively adds RPMs to a repo later). Only Errata and no RPMs is quite useless but harmless,
- both RPMs and an Erratum are synced - it's fine.
For modules it's critical to do it smart way:
- only a module is synced and no RPMs - it's bad, it's a broken module, tools like dnf will complain.
- only modular RPMs are synced - it's bad, even worse than the previous case, because it can mess up dependency resolution (modular rpms will be used when non-modular should be) .
- a module and all its RPMs are sync - it's the only good option.
2. I could see this feature useful if some repo or cdn has broken module md while good packages. I would agree it being a lower priority.
I understand this potential use case, however see my comment above, it's not worth risking, in my opinion. If RPMs are good they won't be re-downloaded, just checked during a sync.
3. Where does this word "ursine" come from ....
Modularity folks use it a lot. I guess it describes how bad/damaging and clumsy modular RPMs can be when they don't have their module in a repo ;)
Updated by bmbouter almost 5 years ago
- Status changed from NEW to CLOSED - WONTFIX
Pulp 2 is approaching maintenance mode, and this Pulp 2 ticket is not being actively worked on. As such, it is being closed as WONTFIX. Pulp 2 is still accepting contributions though, so if you want to contribute a fix for this ticket, please reopen or comment on it. If you don't have permissions to reopen this ticket, or you want to discuss an issue, please reach out via the developer mailing list.