Improve performance of rpm duplicate nevra check
In current versions of Pulp 2.x, uploading an RPM to a repo will remove other RPMs with the same NEVRA.
Currently, we are upgrading from an old version of Pulp 2.7, and I've found that performance of import_uploaded_unit tasks for RPMs has regressed significantly. In Pulp 2.7, imports would usually take around 0.5s. In Pulp 2-master, imports to the same repos have taken from 8 to 130 seconds, depending on the size of the repo.
By debugging I've found most of the time is spent in this duplicate check (remove_unit_duplicate_nevra).
This issue is for improving the performance of remove_unit_duplicate_nevra to reduce the severity of the performance regression.
Improve performance of remove_unit_duplicate_nevra
This function, which is used whenever a new RPM is uploaded, was slower than necessary.
The old implementation would first use find_repo_content_units, which queries for all unit IDs of the required type in the repo and then performs a unit query combining the relevant NEVRA with the IDs.
In fact finding all those unit IDs is measurably slow for a large repo, and it's much faster (while still correct) to simply search for the RPMs to remove directly. It's harmless if this finds some RPMs with same NEVRA which are already not in the repo.
On our installation, for a repo with ~24000 RPMs, this reduced the runtime of this method from ~8 seconds to <0.1 seconds.
Please register to edit this issue