Test recent pulp syncing to SuSE repositories
We have a bit of a knowledge gap when it comes to how well Pulp is able to sync from SuSE repositories. We should sync some repos and make sure any bugs that need to be filed are filed, and any bugs that are already opened are updated with current and relevant info.
#3 Updated by semyers almost 4 years ago
- Status changed from ASSIGNED to NEW
- Assignee deleted (
I've successfully synced and published some SLES-11 repos, including some with errata and drpms. No unit types were skipped, testing was done using the 2.10.2 beta. I haven't yet testing using the repo from a SLES 11 box to see if zypper complains about the repo we published.
- Sync and Publish SLES11 repo with interesting content types (I used SLES11-Updates)
Things left to do:
- Install and use published repository from a SLES11 system to make sure the repo was published correctly.
- Repeat the same steps on SLES12:
- Sync and Publish a SLES12 repo (these use the query auth token business)
- Install and use published repo from a SLES12 system
- Test SLES11 with SMT (https://www.suse.com/documentation/smt11/).
I'm releasing this ticket for now with the expectation that it wlll be picked back up in future sprints.
#4 Updated by semyers almost 4 years ago
- Checklist item Test Syncing Pulp from SLES 11 Official Repos added
- Checklist item Test Syncing Pulp from SLES 12 Official Repos added
- Checklist item Test Installing from a Pulp-published Repo in SLES 11 added
- Checklist item Test Installing from a Pulp-published Repo in SLES 12 added
- Checklist item Test adding a Pulp-published Repo to SMT in SLES 11 added
- Checklist item Test adding a Pulp-published Repo to SMT in SLES 12 added
- Status changed from NEW to ASSIGNED
- Assignee set to semyers
- Groomed changed from No to Yes
- Sprint Candidate changed from No to Yes
I was going to submit this for grooming, but based on the result of some meetings, these things are true:
- We need to do this very soon, in order to find out anything we need to improve in the area of SLES support prior to development on Pulp 2.y coming to an end.
- We need to do everything listed in my previous comment with the possible exception of testing publishing with SMT, though that's likely easy enough to do (https://www.suse.com/documentation/smt11/book_yep/data/smt_mirroring_manage.html for reference, specifically the "Mirroring Custom Repositories" section. I've updated the checklist to outline these tasks.
- I'm likely the only person with the ready knowledge to groom this due to my prior experience setting up SLES test environments for use with Pulp, and it would take as long or longer to get someone else up to speed as it would to just run the tests and record the results.
Based on all that, I've marked this as groomed and assigned it to myself.
#10 Updated by semyers over 3 years ago
After talking with some team members, I've decided to remove the "test with SMT" deliverables.
SMT overlaps with Pulp's problem domain. In my opinion, Pulp should not be syncing content from an SMT-published repository. Rather, either Pulp should be used to sync content from suse for distribution to systems, or SMT should be used to sync content from suse for distribution to systems, not both simultaneously.
Please register to edit this issue