Maintenance. Planio will be undergoing a scheduled maintenance this weekend. Between Saturday, July 24 at 9:00 UTC and Sunday, July 25, 22:00 UTC your account might observe occasional downtimes which may last up to several minutes in some cases.
Test Pulp with RabbitMQ
Pulp does support RabbitMQ, but we historically have not QE'd Pulp with RabbitMQ and our documentation guides users towards using qpidd. Celery recommends that their users use RabbitMQ, and most upstream Celery deployments use it. Due to this, I think we can have high confidence that Pulp will work well with RabbitMQ though it is untested.
This task is primarily to ensure that Pulp gets tested with RabbitMQ, with a few potential secondary objectives:
- Develop a plan to automatically QE Pulp with RabbitMQ (in addition to qpidd)
- Rework our documentation to treat RabbitMQ equitably with qpidd, but leave qpidd as the default in server.conf
- Give users a nice table to compare RabbitMQ fairly against qpidd with all the relevant pros and cons:
- qpidd has historically been much more widely used with Pulp, in development, upstream, and downstream (can we mention downstream in the docs?)
- RabbitMQ is widely used with Celery
- RabbitMQ also supports vhosts, which is an easier way to separate workers from consumers
- Look into run pulp-smash against Fedora's updates-testing repos as well, to catch broker issues before they are released so that we can report karma when necessary
- If all goes well, consider recommending the use of RabbitMQ to the Fedora Project infrastructure.
#1 Updated by bmbouter over 5 years ago
It's anecdotal but I've been told by two separate users that they use Pulp with RabbitMQ and it works for them. Testing against the automation suite would be a good way to test compatibility in an ongoing basis without much human effort. A Jenkins job could be created to do this.
+1 to making the docs more even regarding broker choice.
We should talk more about the default switching. Generally I don't want to switch our default, but it's more than I want to write out here at the moment.
#7 Updated by bmbouter over 2 years ago
Pulp 2 is approaching maintenance mode, and this Pulp 2 ticket is not being actively worked on. As such, it is being closed as WONTFIX. Pulp 2 is still accepting contributions though, so if you want to contribute a fix for this ticket, please reopen or comment on it. If you don't have permissions to reopen this ticket, or you want to discuss an issue, please reach out via the developer mailing list.
Please register to edit this issue